Jor-el Espina’s Dekada Collection Tells The Story of a Designer’s Undying Love for The Creation Process
In the lead up to ArteFino’s milestone celebration, Isang Dekada, the atelier of Jor-el Espina is abuzz with activity. It’s all hands on deck. With each passing day, the collection continuously evolves and grows. “We are inspired,” he confesses. For the contemporary Filipino designer, the process of creating a collection like Dekada is what fuels him to persevere in his craft. “I always feel like I’m starting all over again–discovering and experimenting, improving and learning. Over the years, I’ve always believed that there is always room for growth and to never be complacent.”
It has been a decade since Jor-el first joined ArteFino. It was through the artisanal trade fair where he began to develop a keen instinct for conscious, contemporary design in a retail setting. “It was where I really began to grow as a designer and a brand. I really began to establish my identity and clientele through ArteFino, and up to this day I regard this platform as my home,” Jor-el shares.
For ArteFino: Isang Dekada, Jor-el will occupy the ArteFino Atelier on The Fifth of the Powerplant Mall (just beside the elevators). The space, resembling an Art Deco French studio, will carry an extensive collection of contemporary Filipino garments. “My team has tripled in size in preparation for ArteFino’s 10th year. I wanted to be ready with my offerings, paying tribute to the 10-journey I've shared on this platform.” Although Jor-el has enjoyed 10 years of successful showings at ArteFino, he still insists on giving every run at the trade fair no less than 100%.
Instead of raising a single fashion proposition, Jor-el had the idea of presenting three distinctive categories under one collection. It is a reflection of a creative career that has been shaped by a wide range of colors, textures, layers, and stories. Jor-el elaborates: “I wanted to transfer my reflections on sophistication onto the garments. For Dekada, I was thinking of a diverse audience with varying sensibilities and preferences. There is something for everyone–reimagined hero pieces as well as newer designs and one-of-a-kind pieces. The goal was to let my clients and patrons know that they are seen and heard.”
Although presented in a retail setting, everything in Jor-el’s Dekada collection is made by hand, with 70% of the materials made using handwoven pineapple fabrics. “Yes, it is retail, but I always infuse my pieces with details that make it special or hark back to elements of couture. Details really tell the story. No two pieces are exactly alike because they are all made or guided by hand,” the designer describes. He introduces several techniques in the collection such as laser cutting, silk screening, hand painting, and beadwork. Jor-el has also developed a new key detail: colored safety pins. “I have been collecting these pins for years and decided to add to them my pieces in a way that is fun and completely unexpected.”
While completing his Dekada collection, Jor-el took a brave approach to building a vibrant palette. “After 10 years in ArteFino, it is now clear to me that I don’t need to hold back on color. Apart from the natural or muted tones that I am known for, I am now also dedicated to exploring brighter and bolder hues. We really ” Reimagined barongs, for instance, are distinguished vibrant stripes and blocks of candy colored hues.
Transformer pieces, or clothes that can be worn in multiple ways, also make up this season’s offering. These include apron tops and tapis skirts. Informed by the concept of creating a buildable day-to-red carpet wardrobe, separates by Jor-el serve as an ongoing study in layering, mixing, matching, and creating contrasts. “We really wanted to be playful with this collection,”Jor-el shares.
Dekada by Jor-el Espina is a summary of the designer’s 10-year partnership with ArteFino. It also condenses the many evolutions and iterations of his collections. He concludes: “Everything that has unfolded for me in the past 10 years stems from my ArteFino roots. Since I showed with them, I have been in a constant state of evolution. Never stuck in one era. Always finding new skin, shapes and forms. Through this collection, I want to tell my success story with ArteFino and hope that it will inspire others.”


Comments
Post a Comment